From: John Gruber <gruber <at> fedora.net>
Subject: Re: Markdown generates invalid html for a list immediately followed by a quote
Newsgroups: gmane.text.markdown.general
Date: Monday 9th July 2007 19:51:36 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Jacob Rus <[email protected]> wrote on 7/8/07 at 8:05 PM:

> >That's what I'm thinking the output should be. I think there should be
> >an official rule that all block-level constructs must be separated by
> >a blank line.
>
> This sounds just terrible to me.  I don't want to require huge numbers of

> blank lines whenever I want deeply nested lists, etc.

Nested lists are an exception. I think conceptually, a nested
hierarchical list is, to the writer, a single thing.

My plan for lists is to simplify them as follows:

*   A list is a series of list items.

*   If any of the items in a list are separated by a *single*
    blank line, the entire list is in paragraph mode, and the
    contents of each item in the list will be wrapped in `

` tags. * Otherwise, the list is not in paragraph mode and none of the items' contents get `

` tags. * Two consecutive blank lines ends the current list, no exceptions. So you can still do this: -- * One * sub-one * sub-two * Two * Three -- And the output will be the same as currently. But if you do this: -- * One * sub-one with something that looks like a paragraph * sub-two with something that looks like a paragraph * Two * Three -- or this: -- * One * sub-one * sub-two * Two * Three -- then *all* of the list items will be paragraph mode. The "double blank line to end list" rule means you'll be able to write this: -- * Red * Green * Blue * Cyan * Yellow * Magenta * Black -- To generate two consecutive lists. The "must precede blocks with a blank line" rule also means that any list item that contains block-level constructs, like blockquotes or code blocks, will put that list into paragraph mode. > People don't always use such blank lines when they write > (non-markdown) plain text emails or documents, and I think mandating > them in general is a mistake. People do all sorts of things in non-Markdown plain text that can't be parsed in Markdown. -J.G.

CD: 2ms