From: Alan G Isaac <aisaac <at> american.edu>
Subject: latex writer problem
Newsgroups: gmane.text.docutils.user
Date: Wednesday 5th October 2005 15:25:48 UTC (over 12 years ago)
1. Citation keys are broken.
   If a citation reference has an underscore, [like_this],
   then with --use-latex-citations the LaTeX writer will
   produce
   \bibitem[like{\_}this]{like{\_}this}
   That places forbidden characters in the citekey.
   It should produce
   \bibitem[like{\_}this]{like_this}

2. It would be very nice to be able to
   --use-bibtex-for-citations
   --bibliographystyle=mystyle.bst
   --bibliography=mybib.bib

   - suppress the citations
   - \usepackage{natbib}
   - produce citation references \cite{like_this}
   - add \bibliographystyle{mystyle} \bibliography{mybib}

3. Just a comment on rst2latex vs. rst2newlatex:  the
   movement here is exactly the opposite of my preference,
   if I understand it.  Of course I am not presumptuously
   claiming it is "wrong": forcing LaTeX that way may be
   what most users want.  (Is it?)  What I want out of
   a LaTeX writer is the heaviest possible reliance on LaTeX
   with the fewest "tricks".  I really hope that
   rst2newlatex is not destined to *replace* rst2latex but
   rather to "surpass" it for needs of some users (not me).

fwiw,
Alan Isaac