From: Venkata Rayudu Posina <posinavrayudu <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Body of mathematical concepts
Newsgroups: gmane.science.mathematics.categories
Date: Friday 16th November 2012 06:49:36 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Dear All,

Mathematical concepts such as 1, singleton set, and objects satisfying
universal mapping properties are placed in well-defined positions.
One ready illustration: the way 1 is related to a singleton set
(property-value of a structure) is determinately definite and
different from the ways in which singletons are related to objects
satisfying universal mapping properties (example, sorting).  We can
also, for example, read vividly going from 1 to singleton set to
terminal object to objects satisfying universal mapping properties to
map object to its size--a number--all in the space of a line segment:
a figure is the locus of a varying element (Conceptual Mathematics,
page 83).  Mathematical concepts, from this perspective, appear to be
clearly organized.

Would you be kind enough to point me to our current understanding
(say, a textbook) of the structure of the body of mathematical
concepts.

Happy Philosophy Day!

Thank you,
posina