From: Colin Leath <cleath-iMkurYBACxA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Community Landtrust Cities?
Newsgroups: gmane.politics.activism.carfree-cities
Date: Friday 11th August 2006 01:52:01 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Recent visits to the following community land trusts (CLTs):

- the LA Ecovillage: http://www.laecovillage.org/
- Earthaven Ecovillage, http://earthaven.org
- Celo http://come2burnsville.com/celo.html

and reading about:

The Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative  (http://www.dsni.org/
[works in IE but not opera]; http://www.dsni.org/dni/ ) in _Better
Together_ ( http://bettertogether.org )

have got me wondering about the implications / possibility of having
an entire city operate as a sort of community land trust.

A Georgian land-tax seems related. . . (or is it the opposite?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Tax#Single-tax_communities

So--have any of the students of urban planning on this list considered
alternatives to the approach to organizing land use, land ownership,
and taxation that predominates in the US?

How would it work?

Lois Arkin of the LA Ecovillage believes (I think) that as long as the
real estate industry is focused on:

Maximum Rate of Return
and
Highest and Best Use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_and_best_use

Then real estate will not be developed in the community's best interest.

The following articles by Tom Wetzel (president of the San Francisco
Community Land Trust: http://www.sfclt.org/ ) also address this
theme:

The Capitalist City or the Self-Managed City?
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=5907
(from the anthology _Globalize Liberation_)

http://www.zmag.org/wetzelcity.htm

Here's one last link on the CLT:
http://www.plannersweb.com/articles/pet112.html

As it is, we already have carfree cities for the ultra-rich. . .

And we're all aware that any carfree city or village will be impacted
by speculation and soaring land values if it is done well.

If this issue has already been addressed in the archives or in
carbuster magazine, please point me there.

Thanks!
Colin Leath

--
http://carfreeuniverse.org