From: Marc Espie <espie <at> nerim.net>
Subject: Re: upstream vendors and why they can be really harmful
Newsgroups: gmane.os.openbsd.tech
Date: Tuesday 6th November 2012 20:39:42 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 08:42:48PM +0100, TAKRIZ wrote:
> I hear you on this, thinking about it I'd like to ask you what would be a
> solution to this rather recurrent issue/problem we're facing from the
Linux
> side of the spectrum? What would be a solution or a framework that could
> somehow negate most of the effects of this particular problem?. I grew up
> tired as well from this bs that clearly affects OpenBSD appeal to the
> masses. But, in life I've learned to make decisions, and no decision is
> free and I just pay the bill and live peacefully away from bullshit and
bad
> software.

Maybe I should be MORE explicit about this.

I don't have ANY KIND OF SOLUTION.

I know what the problem is (I think), and I don't think I'm part of the
solution. I think that people talking about it, asking gnome/kde/whatever
to solve the distribution issue (partly) might be the solution.

Heck, the problem *in the first place* is that OpenBSD is *below some
critical mass* developer-wise to *really* affect that state of being.

Now, you are asking *me*, as an overbooked, overwhelmed developer, to also
provide a solution for that problem ?

Come on, that's something that doesn't require any of the skills I have.
You guys get off your collective asses and start figuring out an actual
solution.

There's no need to directly involve me. Heck, there's probably little need
to involve any of the current developers ! who are *all* vastly busy.

It's very simple: figure out a way to get more developers involved in
OpenBSD, or figure out a way to talk to gnome/kde/whatever so that we get
a better chance at cooperating with them...

CD: 3ms