From: Thorsten Glaser <tg-vpiyNrvJqjezQB+pC5nmwQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: licence template, wording disclaimer
Newsgroups: gmane.os.miros.general
Date: Friday 21st July 2006 04:38:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi people!

The last two words here strike me:

# Licensor offers the work "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY of any kind,
# express, or implied, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable
# law, without malicious intent or gross negligence; in no event may
# licensor, an author or contributor be held liable for any indirect
# or other damage, or direct damage except proven a consequence of a
# direct error of said person and intended use of this work, loss or
# other issues arising in any way out of its use, even if advised of
# the possibility of such damage or existence of a nontrivial bug.

I do not know how to express in English what I really think here. Of
course we must stand up for our own mistakes, but I do not see how I
can be sued for bugs in upstream source or unknown mistakes (at time
of shipping), or even known mistakes (or omissions to do updates for
third-party sources, eg. security fixes) we ship at least as long as
we document that.

I'd like somebody (Stephen? Tyler?) to come up with something better
but how about the following?

# the possibility of such damage or existence of an error.

"Error" here means technical, programming and even human error, but,
with the explanation above, it might be better. I'd like to avoid an
expression like "bug" because it's programmer jargon and, after all,
our lawyers usually aren't programmers.

Ideas? Comments?

TIA
//mirabile
when God enlightens him. Or only God invents algorithms, we merely copy
them.
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt

CD: 3ms