From: Bryan Cantrill <bryancantrill <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [developer] copyright notices
Newsgroups: gmane.os.illumos.devel
Date: Wednesday 3rd April 2013 19:07:58 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Keith Wesolowski
 wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:46:53AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> As a result of these, I will be using and/or updating my own (and those
of my company) notices to use the following format:

>> Copyright © 2013 DEY Storage Systems, Inc.
>>
>> I think we all have UTF-8 capable editors now, so the © should not
cause any undue grief.  (Would be interested to hear if anyone knows of any
counter examples.  Does anyone here work on code in either a pure ASCII or
ISO8859 -- or any other locale -- environment?  Its hard to imagine any
reason that UTF-8 would not be used everywhere these days.)

> No.
>
> This has been discussed once already, when Oracle wanted to do the same,
> with the result that the existing rules were preserved.  The existing
> requirement is that all code in ON must be 7-bit ASCII.  Exceptions, if
> there are any, are bugs.  There is no reason to change this rule, and
> I'd suggest that the Developer Council take this up if necessary.

Agreed -- UTF-8 is a gateway drug, and next thing you know you have
Elvish in a comment; cue Theo's epic closing plenary from Surge 2011:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCTIPG43no

Specially:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCTIPG43no#t=11m42s

We should -- must -- remain 7-bit ASCII, if only for the sake of future
Theos.

       - Bryan