From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: What's the status of Haiku?
Newsgroups: gmane.os.haiku.devel
Date: Monday 18th August 2014 18:53:58 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Hello Sia,

I think you are being a bit unfair in criticizing the decision for
Haiku to use it's own kernel all those years ago. Things have changed
a lot to make your project a lot easier now, both from the Linux side
and of course from the Haiku side. Plus hindsight is 20/20 and all
that.

With that said, I think your project is very worthwhile and I urge you
to continue (which it sounds like you are anyway.) I think you have a
valid point that it is very hard to keep a kernel up-to-date with all
the modern hardware we have. It makes sense to use Linux or a BSD
there if you can. At the same time I don't think it hurts for Haiku to
continue with it's own kernel, but having your project alongside is
good so we have another option in the future.

Anything which helps continue the BeOS legacy is good, and I imagine
most people involved with Haiku would agree.

I do think we could make our lives a bit easier on the Haiku side by
going more in the Mac OS X direction and having some Haiku-specific
hardware where all the drivers are written and everything works
perfectly. But I don't know if we have the resources as a project to
make that happen, and sadly there is probably not enough interest for
a business to want to pursue it either. Maybe the best we can do now
is some sort of hardware specification which we know Haiku can support
well.

--
Regards,
Ryan