From: Patrick Wildt <patrick <at> bitrig.org>
Subject: Bitrig 1.0 release announcement
Newsgroups: gmane.os.bitrig.devel
Date: Thursday 4th December 2014 21:47:25 UTC (over 3 years ago)
BITRIG 1.0 RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Bitrig team is pleased to announce the availability of the Bitrig
1.0 release. This is the first release of the Bitrig operating system
and has many great changes since our initial fork from OpenBSD. It
includes changes from OpenBSD up to their 5.6 release.

Some of the highlights:
 * LLVM/Clang 3.4 in base, replacing the outdated GNU GCC 4.2.1 to
   improve performance and C/C++ compatibility
 * libc++ and libc++abi replaces GNU libstdc++
 * FFS2 is the default file system and it has journal support (WAPBL)
   and booting capability
 * tmpfs replaces mfs and includes new features such as snapshots and
   tmpfsrd(4) ramdisk
 * Unlimited sized bsd.rd using the new tmpfsrd(4) driver
 * Thread-local storage (TLS) support
 * Support for UUIDs and xlocales in libc
 * Support for using GPT partitioned storage with an fdisk-like tool
 * Usability improvements in fdisk
 * Flashable USB boot image for amd64
 * ARM EABI + hard-float and improved armv7 SoC support
 * Fair kernel mutexes implemented using C11 atomic operations
 * ps(1): improved posix compliance & hierarchical output
 * Only one GNU tool in base (texinfo)
 * Single snapshot target for src and xenocara
 * Source code hosted on Github
 * Comprehensive collection of ports and packages
 * And most importantly: Hacker style console with green text on black
   background

AVAILABILITY

Bitrig 1.0 is available for amd64. It can be installed from bootable ISO
and USB stick images. The armv7 architecture is not part of this
release. We provide snapshots for both architectures throughout the year
and will include an armv7 release once considered stable enough.

The release can be retrieved from our mirrors listed at:

  https://www.bitrig.org/downloads.html

You can use signify(1) to verify the integrity and authenticity of the
downloaded files:

  $ signify -C -p /etc/signify/bitrig-10-base.pub -x SHA256.sig cd10.iso

GETTING INVOLVED

Contributions are always welcome. If you have any questions regarding
the development of Bitrig join the #bitrig channel at OFTC.net, or
subscribe to the [email protected] and [email protected] mailing lists.

Further information, including how to subscribe to our mailing lists,
is available on our website. Bug reports and contributions can be made
through Github.

We are always on the lookout for new developers who like to hack in a
friendly environment.

 * Website: https://bitrig.org
 * Github:  https://github.com/bitrig
 * Twitter: https://twitter.com/bitrig

T-SHIRTS/STICKERS

We have t-shirts and stickers available at:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/natano/collections/261946-bitrig

All profits resulting from t-shirt and sticker sales goes to the Bitrig
project and helps paying the colocation bills.

Please also consider donating using either paypal ([email protected])
or bitcoin (1M8eE7vFxcjCgqFvxKnSvRoBvx3RwJVWiR).

---
Thanks to all the people who made this release possible.

CD: 4ms