From: alan <alan <at> clueserver.org>
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: PLUG Advanced Topics Meeting December 18th 2006
Newsgroups: gmane.org.user-groups.linux.portland
Date: Friday 15th December 2006 19:08:46 UTC (over 10 years ago)
PLUG Advanced Topics meeting

Date:  December 18th 2006
Time:  7:00pm

Location:   Jax Bar 826 SW 2nd Avenue Portland, Oregon

Speaker:    Randal Schwartz

Topic:

When you have hundreds of people simultaneously patching 25000 files of
the Linux Kernel in sometimes conflicting ways, you might need some scheme
or plan to sort all that out before you can build your next kernel and
reboot.  The Linux team uses "git" for their source code repository
management, a homegrown solution that is optimized for highly distributed
development, working with huge sets of files, merging independent work at
multiple levels, and seeing who broke what. (Git has also since been
notably adopted by the Cairo, x.org, and Wine teams, and is being
transitioned to by the Mozilla codebase.) In my talk, I describe what
"git" is and isn't, and why you should use it instead of CVS, Subversion,
SVK, Arch, Darcs, Mercurial, Monotone, Bazaar, and just about every other
repository manager.  I'll also walk though the basic concepts so that the
manpages might start making sense. If I have time, I'll even do a live
walkthrough, where you can watch how fast I make typos.

Standard meeting rules apply.  Happy hour meal prices for the duration of
the meeting.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25

CD: 53ms