From: Adrian Gschwend <ktk <at> netlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Qt 4 application and UI framework for eCS, OS/2
Newsgroups: gmane.org.netlabs.community
Date: Monday 27th April 2009 13:46:15 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> The question is really what happens with the money at netlabs.org. I
> would be a lot more willing to donate again, if that was posted
somewhere.
> I don't mean a full financial report down to the last cent, but something
> simple, like
> - Total income
> - Percentage of money used for infrastructure
> - Percentage of money passed on to project X (or developer Y)
> Right now it's really a black box.

yes that's right, it was always so few money that I didn't even bother
doing real accounting for that. I think last time I got money from the
sponsoring units was in July 2008.

The sponsoring-unit money was always separated from things like server
infrastructure and is also totally independent from the money Silvan
collects now for Qt.
In the past I used the money to pay things I did for netlabs (like
travel tickets), as I work more and more for netlabs and less for other
companies. In fact I quit my job at the University end of June and will
work 40% for paying my bills at a security company. The rest of the time
(which is again at least 100%) will go into netlabs.org.

As I invested around 20'000 Euro in cash (not even thinking about my
time) in netlabs in the past years, I don't have any bad feelings about
using sponsoring money for netlabs.org related trips. The 20'000 Euro
were mainly money for programmers I hired back then, like Vladest. On my
netlabs.org account there are about 2500 Euro in cash right now IIRC. I
will not invest that into Qt ATM as I want to keep it for safety reasons
right now.

Also I will do accounting as soon as we get some more money for Voyager
but I don't know yet how the structure of the upcoming project will be.
So not sure if this will be public or not.

> While being on that topic I wanted to say for a long time that the
> bi-weekly status reports are not very helpful. To me it seems that they
> are a waste of time for the person who creates them and useless for me
> as a reader. Stuff like "Lots of updates" or "few updates" or even "One
> update" doesn't tell me anything, if I don't know what these updates were
> about.

It's cool to see that something is going on but I see the criticism as
well. Suggestions to make it better are welcome.

cu

Adrian

- --
Adrian Gschwend