From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Samuli_Sepp=E4nen?= <samuli <at> openvpn.net>
Subject: Summary of the IRC meeting (29th Apr 2010)
Newsgroups: gmane.network.openvpn.devel
Date: Friday 30th April 2010 12:15:24 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi,

Here's the summary of the previous community meeting.

---

COMMUNITY MEETING

Place: #openvpn-devel on irc.freenode.net
Date: Thursday, 29th March 2010
Time: 18:00 UTC

Planned meeting topics for this meeting were on this page:

<https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Topics-2010-04-29>

Next meeting next week, same place, same time. Your local meeting time
is easy to check from services such as

<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock>

or with

$ date -u

SUMMARY

Discussed the VLAN tagging patchset. Agreed that "feat_passtos" branch
needs to be tested before VLAN tagging patches can be included in
"allmerged" branch. Feat_passtos patch was sent to -devel ml a while back:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/3165>

Discussed tasks which we know we should do, but can't do immediately.
Agreed that we should start using Trac to track these. Samuli promised
to move existing content from Secure Computing "Open tasks" wiki page to
Trac.

Discussed Trac spam prevention. Agreed that some of the Trac wiki pages
should be protected against editing by "normal" authenticated users.

Discussed the "Using --inactive and --ping seems to defeat each other"
issue:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/3556>

Agreed that we need to find a proper default value for --inactive
arguments (seconds & bytecount) which avoids OpenVPN pings from keeping
the connection open. Samuli promised to ask if our users could help us
with this issue. If that fails, a new Trac task will be created.

Discussed the "Avoid repetition of "this config may cache passwords in
memory" (v2)" issue:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/3591>

James ACK'd the above patch.

Discussed the "Revamped the script-security warning logging (version 2)"
 issue:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/3587>

James will give the above patch an ACK once it's changed to use the
openvpn_snprintf function. Dazo will take care of this small modification.

Discussed OpenVPN roadmap. Agreed to make the next Thursday's meeting a
dedicated "Roadmap" meeting. In this meeting James will present his
views of the future of OpenVPN 3.0 and it's relationship with 2.x
series. Discussion will be kept at a relatively high-level, without
going into gory details such as "OpenVPN 2.2 will include the following
features...". Agreed that users need to be involved in defining the
future of OpenVPN.

Discussed OpenVPN coding conventions / coding style. Agreed that we need
to use "GNU Indent" (or similar tool) to make sure all code is formatted
similarly. Agreed that some parts of the current code may have to
reformatted before forcing people to use a specific coding style.

Discussed code security issues. Agreed that all patches should be
checked with (security) auditing tools such as Valgrind and Coverity.
James promised to write the first version of "Coding security
guidelines" document, which can then updated as required.

Discussed problems with getting developers with no prior OSS development
experience involved. Samuli has noticed that many people who provide
useful patches are not confident enough to send them to the -devel
mailinglists. Agreed that something has to be done to lower the
(psychological) barrier of entry to OpenVPN development. Mentoring was
suggested as one possibility.

---

Full chatlog as an attachment

--