From: Maurice McCarthy <maurice.mccarthy-XZoyATsUNX5Wk0Htik3J/w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: gopherVR
Newsgroups: gmane.network.gopher.general
Date: Wednesday 25th June 2008 01:49:47 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi all and Michael Casadevall especially,

With a little effort managed to contact Mark McCahill, one of the
originators of gopher and

the principal writer of gopherVR. He has posted "what looks like the source
code" on line for us as said below.

Regards
Maurice

On Jun 24, 2008, at 8:55 AM, McCarthy, Maurice [Contractor] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Pardon the intrusion but we were hoping you might be able to help.
>
> A small collection of people still advocate gopher. They are on John
> Goerzen's mailing list [email protected]

wow! I had no idea...

> A chap called Michael Casadevall on the list is interested in
> gopherVR.

I do have what appears to be source for GopherVR, and compiled
versions which would probably run on a Mac if you could find an old
enough machine - this stuff is from back in the 68020 transition to
PPC 601 CPU era. I just put the source tar file in this directory:

http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu/gophervr/

Have fun!

It would be amusing to see a port to linux, although there are some
things I would do totally differently today.

First, there was no generally available OpenGL for the Mac and Solaris
machines we were running GopherVR on, so we took the VOGL library and
used that. Since there was no hardware support for depth culling (and
no prospect of a hardware z buffer) I got to glue in a binary space
partition (BSP) hidden surface removal algorithm. If I were doing this
today, I'd assume OpenGL and a GPU.

If I were doing this today, I'd probably take OpenCroquet and use that
as the basis to write the Gopher client stuff. Since Croquet comes
with an open source VM that runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows, supports
OpenGL and all sorts of other nice things you'd get a cross platform
GopherVR. You'd also get to program in Smalltalk, which I would
consider a huge plus, but Croquet is my "fun" project these days, so I
am a bit biased. current state of the are in the open source croquet
world is here: http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu/cobalt.html

Anyway - let me know how things work out.