From: Alan in Toronto <Alantoronto <at> public.fiercefocus.com>
Subject: Notes plugin - option to return to list layout of 1.0
Newsgroups: gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins
Date: Wednesday 8th March 2006 16:37:49 UTC (over 11 years ago)
I posted last year about Notes plugin. (Original message below.) I
preferred the format/layout of Notes in version 1.0, rather than the
"stickies" in version 1.2.

The author responded:
"I could possibly provide an option to go back to the old style of just
listing them, I see no problem with that."

I wondered if he's had a chance to incorporate that option? It would sure
be useful to me and to some other users who also have many notes.

Thanks.

----- Original Message, April 2005 ------

Just in case you want to hear comments, here are mine. Please don't take
offense, as it may just be that your needs and preferences differ from
mine. I may be way off base. I really do like the Notes plugin and I use
it a lot.

VERSION 1.2 VERSUS 1.0

I've been using version 1.2 for a while now, and I'm sorry to say that I
really prefer version 1.0. I find 1.0 much more functional and
user-friendly. Here are some specifics:

 - v1.2 doesn't make good use of screen real estate, as the three column
table layout causes a horizontal scrollbar to appear, and requires
horizontal scrolling to see the rightmost notes.

 - v1.2 requires a lot of vertical scrolling to see the notes, if there
are many of them. 1.0 displayed a lot more notes, their titles, in a
smaller space so it was more efficient to review the list of titles to
find the note you want.

Sorry, I'm sure some people love the "sticky note" look, but I find 1.0
was easier to use and more efficient when working with many notes.

Is there any compatibility reason why I should not install version 1.0 for
use with SM 1.4.4? If both version are equally compatible with SM 1.4.4,
then I'll install Notes 1.0 again.

CSS IDEA FOR STICKIES LAYOUT

If you want to continue with your columnar layout of sticky notes, may I
suggest that using fixed HTML tables is a poor approach. It will cause
horizontal scrolling in viewports narrower than that which you've designed
for. In wider viewports, the fixed width table will waste space, leaving
blank space to the right of the last column, even though there may be room
for another column or more.

The preferred approach is to use CSS, which is: easier to maintain, more
adaptable to varying browser window sizes, and quicker to download and
render.

To achieve this layout would not be too difficult, and the way I would do
it would be to wrap each sticky in a DIV, and float all the DIVs. That way
the browser would render just as many DIVs/notes as there is width to
display without horizontal scrolling, and then automatically begin a new
row. Compared with inflexible table layouts, floated DIVs seem like magic,
but it really works and is better in so many ways.

I'm not trying to pick on Notes plugin, as there are many plugins, and
parts of core SM for that matter, that would render quicker and better
using CSS rather than tables. While it will be a big job to begin changing
SM, rendering a plugin window with superior CSS would be an easily
achievable incremental step toward better code. I'd be happy to help with
it.

Thanks for listening.