From: Thijs Kinkhorst <kink <at> squirrelmail.org>
Subject: Re: i18n patch for Squirrelmail SVN_devel.
Newsgroups: gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel
Date: Thursday 24th January 2008 11:00:29 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On Thursday 24 January 2008 10:20, Thierry Godefroy wrote:
> - In compose_attachments.tpl, a combination of a translated adjective
> (_("New")) and a translated name (_("Attachment")) is used: this does not
> work for most languages, because adjectives spelling change with the
gender
> of the subject, and "New" is used in several places for different gender
as
> "Attachment".

Good one, I've merged this patch.

> - In strings.php, "KiB" and "MiB" are not translated. Please, note also
> that the use of "KiB" and "MiB" is incorrect in this context (1024 bytes
=
> 1 KB and 1024 * 1024 bytes = 1 MB, while 1 KiB = 1000 bytes and 1 MiB =
> 1000000 bytes). The MiB (and its derivatives) was invented by hard drive
> manufacturers in a very lame attempt to make their drives capacity look
> bigger, and it was alas adopted as a standard for newest mass storage
> devices (DVDs are following this trend). But the MiB should not be used
for
> file size. So, in fact, you could also consider as an addendum to my
patch,
> to change KiB for KB and MiB for MB...

Not quite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte
"1 MiB = 220 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes = 1,024 kibibytes"

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to make them translatable as these are

standardized suffixes. For example, you don't translage "10 kg" or "30 cm"
in
French, do you? At least in Dutch we also use kg and cm.

> - In page_header.php, the "Current Folder" name which appears at the top
of
> the page is not translated when the "Translate Special Folders" option is
> in force. I also detected a bug while fixing this i18n issue: some code
is
> called while it should not (when the current mailbox is irrelevant and
not
> displayed, such as for the "Options" page header). The patch also fixes
> this bug.

Yes, good one. Merged.

> I also attached to this message a new squirrelmail.po for French
> translations: it fixes a few spelling bugs, many typographic rules
> violations (Accented capital letters are never used in French, for
> example), and adds missing translations.

I'll let Fredrik handle this...

Thank you for your stream of improvements :-)

Thijs

CD: 10ms