From: Roy Marples <uberlord <at> gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Problems with dovecot.beta9
Newsgroups: gmane.mail.imap.dovecot
Date: Thursday 15th June 2006 13:08:21 UTC (over 11 years ago)
> I have been upgraded dovecot today and I get following errors:
>
>Jun 14 12:08:54 [dovecot] IMAP(adnae at xxxxxx.xxx): inotify_init()
failed:
>Function not implemented
>Jun 14 12:08:54 [dovecot] IMAP(auftrag at xxxxxxx.xxx): inotify_init()
>failed: Function not implemented
>Jun 14 12:08:54 [dovecot] IMAP(swolf at xxxxxx.xxx): inotify_init()
failed:
>Function not implemented
>
>I  have  a  64  bit  system  (Gentoo  [amd64]) and I have enabled this
>function on my kernel:
>
>Kernel: 2.6.16-gentoo-r9:
>   [*] Inotify file change notification support

One of our developers wanted inotify support in dovecot, and look what
happens - lol.

The error is that you have glibc-2.4 which triggers inotify support in
dovecot
on linux boxes (in the Gentoo ebuild). However, glibc-2.4 needs to be
compiled against linux-headers-2.6.13 or later as they provide the
linux/inotify.h header which glibc needs. I've spoken to our toolchain guys

and they don't want to remove glibc's inotify.h so they keep their ABI
which
makes perfect sense to them.

So I've hacked up a patch to dovecots configure.in that only enables
inotify
if it really works :)
It also tests for inotify, then kqueue, then dnotify if no notify method is

specified. Seems to work well.

If upstream (Timo) accepts it then I'll roll it into beta9's ebuild ASAP

A better solution would be to have something in the code though as if the
kernel suddenly drops to <2.6.13 then you'll get the same errors.

In the meantime, I've forced the beta9 ebuild to only use inotify if
>=glibc-2.4 and >=linux-headers-2.6.16 are present, and I hope glibc has
been
compiled against them - lol.

Thanks

--
Roy Marples
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)

CD: 4ms