From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt <at> polytechnique.org>
Subject: Mavericks (OS X 10.9) keychain and getmail
Newsgroups: gmane.mail.getmail.user
Date: Friday 28th March 2014 14:54:09 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hello,

I just found a solution to a problem using getmail on OS X 10.9 where
the password would not be fetched from the keychain. I'm sending this
here in case others have a similar problem (and I apologize if this is
known, I tried searching the archives but could not find anything
related).

The problem: when using getmail, the password cannot be found in the
keychain.

> [email protected] ~ > getmail
> keychain command /usr/bin/security find-internet-password -g -a *** -s
> *** -r 'imap' failed: 11264 security: SecKeychainSearchCopyNext: The
> specified item could not be found in the keychain.Enter password for
> SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever:***:

The reason of the problem: since 10.9, OS X stores internet passwords
differently, as they may be synchronized through iCloud. If you open
Keychain Access and search for these credentials (typically if you have
configured this email account through Mail.app _after_ upgrading to
Mavericks), you'll find them there, but in the "Local Items" keychain.
It seems that the security program cannot access this keychain.

The solution: create a copy of the item in Keychain Access (right
click, copy), and drag it to the login keychain (top-left of window).
Now getmail should be able to find it.

Best regards,

Alan

CD: 3ms