From: Ariel Badichi <abadichi <at> bezeqint.net>
Subject: Option --load and lost restarts
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.steel-bank.devel
Date: Tuesday 20th May 2008 02:11:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Hello,

I use the --load option to run a program which may signal an error.
The program sets up restarts so that I can interactively choose how to
deal with the error, but these are lost when I arrive at the debugger.

The reason for this is that the function SB-IMPL::PROCESS-EVAL-OPTIONS
tries to be "helpful" by setting up a handler which signals yet
another error.  In doing this, the handler does not decline to handle
the condition, and so the restarts established up to that point are no
longer available.

One possible solution is to set up a restart within the handler that,
when invoked, will cause the handler to decline (the perfect job for
with-simple-restart).

Another solution is to remove the handler altogether.  I prefer this
solution, as I think the restarts established by PROCESS-EVAL-OPTIONS
are sufficiently helpful.

I also noticed a similarly "helpful" handler in the function
SB-IMPL::PROCESS-INIT-FILE.

Ariel