From: Alexander Repenning <alex.repenning-YUFj/oPGo9k <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Pathname and Unicode in MCL 5.1
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.mcl.general
Date: Monday 1st October 2007 12:17:46 UTC (over 10 years ago)
> graphics with optimized OpenGL, as an Open source project just might

sophisticated graphics for OpenMCL are coming along nicely. Brent
Fulgham has PPC and Intel versions of our Open Agent Engine (http://
homepage.mac.com/bfulgham/FileSharing2.html). On top of that engine
we have a couple of projects including AgentCubes (screen dump
below). We just added the ability switch to first person view.
Anyway, rendering large numbers of polygons, textures, sounds even
some early shaders... all there in Lisp.

So, the good news is that we can do amazing things in Lisp and they
even run very efficiently. The bad news is that at a time when Apple
is doing really well and producing some pretty exciting hardware we
have reached a new low in terms of Lisp development. Regarding MCL /
OpenMCL we are all a bit frustrated here. We do not want to have to
pick between Intel & SLIME versus PPC & real IDE. What is keeping MCL
and OpenMCL from reuniting into a really useful version of Lisp for
the Mac? At a technical level, what went wrong with MCL's compiler
that it cannot produce code working at least with Rosetta? How com
the LispWorks stuff works with Rosetta, can produce PPC, Intel and
even Universal Binaries working on ALL Intel Macs? From a business
point of view, why can Hazem not let go of a company that does no
longer appear to be viable?

On Sep 29, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Peter Paine wrote:

> At 12:30 AM -0400 07/09/28, Sean Ferguson wrote:
>> All I can say is that if they *haven't* been waiting for Leopard's
>> release because they needed proper 64-bit or whatever and MCL
>> *doesn't* come out within a week or two of OSX 10.5, then I am going
>> to be a very unhappy ex-MCL user...
>>
>> Sean
>
> I so hope that you are right (in your anticipation).
> The general game of mute smoke and evasion on the darkest moonless
> night does not inspire confidence.
> If you are forced to be an ex-MCL user, have you any plans of where
> you will go next (re, lisp work)?
> I am rather frustrated at all the Emacs based lisp IDEs.  Cannot
> comprehend OpenMCL's lack of IDE or graphics.
> There's been talk of Closure taking on MCL.  To my mind a combination
> of MCL Fred with OpenMCL Intel 64 native backend, plus modern
> graphics with optimized OpenGL, as an Open source project just might
> make the beginnings of a viable development environment for lisp work
> on the Mac.  But that doesn't seem to be something that many are
> prepared to talk about, let alone contribute to.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Peter

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Lugano
Faculty of Informatics, Via Guiseppe Buffi 13
Lugano, 6904, Switzerland

&

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department
Boulder, CO 80309-430

vCard: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~ralex/AlexanderRepenning.vcf

Prof. Dr.  Alexander Repenning
University of Lugano
Faculty of Informatics, Via Giuseppe Buffi 13
Office SI-106
Lugano, 6904, Switzerland

phone: +41 58 666 4304
fax: +41 58 666 4536