From: <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle <at> t-systems.com>
Subject: Re: using pathnames containing wildcard characters
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.clisp.general
Date: Monday 13th February 2012 15:31:28 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Don Cohen wrote:
>> Use custom:*pathname-encoding* as iso-8859-1 to work with strings.
>That seems to work:
>Why isn't this screwed up by the line terminator of the encoding?
>I expected to get the same string as would have been read from a file with
the same bytes.

The character streams add another layer on top of encodings, namely the
line terminator handling.  That's the point that has been confusing you
all the time.

FFI encodings acts like ext:convert-string-to/from-bytes
Only the READ-CHAR family adds #\newline conversions.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle