From: <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle <at> t-systems.com>
Subject: Re: using pathnames containing wildcard characters
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.clisp.general
Date: Friday 3rd February 2012 10:10:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Don Cohen wrote:
>I notice that CHARSET:ISO-8859-1 is almost right:
 (with-open-file (f "/tmp/bytes" :direction :output :element-type
                    '(unsigned-byte 8) :if-does-not-exist :create)
   (loop for i below 256 do (write-byte i f)))

This test may have fooled you.  Line-terminator transformation in stream
functions
is different from usage in the FFI or via
ext:convert-string-to/from-bytes.

However, for pathnames, these days I advise against using Latin-1 on the
sole merit that it happens to be 1:1.  Modern UNIX environments use UTF-8
and
we've seen enough of those badly programmed apps that output "¶" when
they should not.

Round-trip is not trivial.  For instance, an ssh or sshfs from Linux to
MacOS
shows a bug *somewhere* among sshfs, bash, readline and one of the two OS
when you'll discover that ä reveals itself as ¨ + a!
(I noticed this when using backspace in bash within ssh.)

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle