From: Fred Cohen <fc <at> all.net>
Subject: Re: using pathnames containing wildcard characters
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.clisp.general
Date: Tuesday 31st January 2012 16:48:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)
A suggestion - how about a variable called **RAW-FILES** or some such
thing that ignores wildcards and uses UTF8 or BYTE for all file IO
including all filesystem calls. So an open will use the utf8 (or byte)
sequence for the pathname and do whatever the OS does on an open call,
returning the value the OS returns from the call. Input goes to UTF or
BYTE arrays, and output comes from them. Error returns are handled by
returning the OS value. Directory should also allow next-entry walk
through a directory, returning the name provided, regardless of type,
and the type should be requested by the user before use (unless they
want to crash). This all being in **RAW-FILES** mode, it will have no
negative effect on anything else, and will allow OS-level things to be
done at the author's risk (and reward).

FC

On 1/31/12 8:40 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Don Cohen  [2012-01-30 16:12:54
-0800]:

--
-This is confidential to the parties I intend it to serve-
Fred Cohen & Associates   tel/fax: 925-954-5876 / 454-0171