From: Don Cohen <don-sourceforge-xxzw <at> isis.cs3-inc.com>
Subject: Re: PROBE-DIRECTORY
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.clisp.general
Date: Friday 20th January 2012 18:19:28 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Sam Steingold writes:
 > > * Don Cohen  [2012-01-19
19:04:12 -0800]:

 > > impnotes says:
 > >  (EXT:PROBE-DIRECTORY pathname) tests whether pathname exists and is a
 > >  directory. It will, unlike PROBE-FILE or TRUENAME, not SIGNAL an
ERROR
 > >  if the parent directory of pathname does not exist.
 >
 > the first thing it does, before accessing the file system, is checking
 > whether pathname is a directory pathname, i.e., that NAME and TYPE are
 > both NIL.
Ok, I think I now understand what it does.
For that behavior the doc should be something more like
 tests whether a pathname that has the form of a directory (null name
 and type) actually exists in the file system.
 An argument that does not have the form of a directory signals an error.

I would prefer to change the code to return nil if the argument has
a non-null name or type.
You might also document that an error is signalled if the argument is
not a pathname designator (string, pathname or file-stream).