From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel-l3A5Bk7waGM <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [su] New su utility messes with my PATH
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.utilities.util-linux-ng
Date: Friday 21st September 2012 07:54:32 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 03:43:29PM +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> On 09/15/2012 02:17 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>> I found what I think is absolutely unexpected behaviour in the new su
>>> utility. It seems to have been introduced by commit a6fdd3f8.
>>>
>>> It is about /sbin and /usr/sbin being in the path: Whenever you switch
>>> to a non-root user, they are removed from the path, and when you switch
>>> to root, they are added. I find it completely unexpected that su (when
>>> not running with -l) messes with my environment at all.
>>>
>>> Commands like
>>>  PATH=... su -c "cmd" user
>>> do not work as expected.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, when you wish your path (or anything in the environment)
>>> to change you should a) use -l to start a login shell or b) configure
>>> your scripts to take care of it.
>>>
>>> I propose to revert the mentioned patch. Opinions?
>>
>> Ouch, I agree.
>> su shouldn't be messing with PATH at all IMHO.

Well, su is such a mess that you better not make any assumptions about
it. Avoid su if you can.

> It's Suse patch, I guess there is/was any reason for the patch
>
>         commit a6fdd3f8125be23930d955c2bc6b7a46cdaf8a12
>         Author: Werner Fink
>         Date:   Tue Aug 17 09:09:55 2010 +0200
>
>         make sure /sbin resp /usr/sbin are in PATH
>

> Werner, Ludwig? What about to revert the patch?

Personally I don't really mind. I don't know the background of the patch
though. IMO using 'su' instead of 'su -' is broken anyways so making the
former less convenient may help teaching people to use 'su -' instead.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel