From: Bruce Perens <bruce <at> perens.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone still alive?
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.userlinux.general
Date: Tuesday 6th September 2005 22:30:21 UTC (over 12 years ago)
Sorry, I've just returned from vacation and thus wasn't able to
participate in this discussion.

The project's still alive, but at the moment it seems to all be waiting
on me. Getting me off of the critical path would help a lot.

Essentially, the customer who was going to pay me to work on this
evaporated, and some time later I started running out of money to
support the project. I subsequently took a job with Sourcelabs. I have
50% of my work time to work on whatever Open Source I choose (courtesy
of Sourcelabs) but so far have been pulled in a lot of directions and
thus not much has gotten done on UL of late.

I think the project continues to have value and I don't believe that
basing on the work of any one company, even Ubuntu which may be more of
a rich man's hobby project than a company, is the solution for support
of Linux distributions. DCC is an OK idea and there is no cost for us to
participate, but we don't depend on it.

The project can be ressurected. Want to try?

    Thanks

    Bruce

Jeff Waugh wrote:

>>How does Ubuntu not wanting to be part of the Debian Core Consortium
(DCC)
>>affect this point of view. I think the DCC is the way to go.
>>

>Consortiums such as the DCC have not worked in the past, and the
proponents
>of the DCC have yet to communicate the workings of their model. It is
tough
>to be confident in a concept that has not worked in the past, and for
which
>the latest incarnation has no strong foundations of process, governance,
or
>communication.
>
>- Jeff

CD: 3ms