From: Greg KH <greg-U8xfFu+wG4EAvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.usb.general
Date: Wednesday 15th April 2009 05:09:47 UTC (over 8 years ago)
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:35:59PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Like Arjan said, this is because we are initializing faster now, and
> > things are a bit more asynchronous.  Use the root_delay boot option,
> > that's what I use for my USB-based systems, and have not had a problem
> > with that at all.
>
> Is that solution really scalable to every user with a regression severe
> enough it prevents them from booting?
>
> When did regressions become an acceptable tradeoff for speed?

So, we aren't allowed to go faster?

What happens when you buy a new box with more USB host controllers and a
faster processor?  Same problem.

> This system boots just fine under kernel 2.6.27, 2.6.26, 2.6.25, and so
> on.  Switch the kernel to 2.6.28, and it no longer boots.  A regression
> cannot get more clear than that.
>
> Maybe this commit should have been accompanied by one that checks "root="
?

How would that be accomplished?

The issue is that you were just lucky that your machine worked properly
previously.  My boxes with the same type of setup didn't, so I quickly
realized what the root delay boot option was for.  You need to just do
the same thing here, there's nothing else we can do.

thanks,

greg k-h