From: Richard A. Johnson <nixternal <at> kubuntu.org>
Subject: Re: Kubuntu LTS
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.kubuntu
Date: Thursday 20th December 2007 20:44:11 UTC (over 8 years ago)
On Thursday 20 December 2007, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
[...]
| Ok confused on this.  Are we shipping a LTS version of Kubuntu and a
| non-LTS version of Kubuntu?  After reading Rich's (nixternal) blog I'm
even
| more confused.

Kubuntu 8.04 will not be LTS, unless after all of this hoopla something
changes. Honestly, I do not see why the KDE 3.5 release can't be LTS, but
as
Jonathan said, that is Canonical's calling.

[...]

| I think we are doing a disservice if we aren't doing a LTS version.  Can
| someone help me out?

If we were to continue to redirect 100% of our efforts to KDE 3.5, come
this
time next year, we will be so far behind the rest of the distributions
pushing KDE 4. We, Kubuntu Development Team, do not have the resources to
do
both a KDE 3.5 LTS release as well as a KDE 4 release at the same time. We
cannot afford to neglect KDE 4 as a distribution. If we were to neglect it
now, we could never catch up to distributions such as Fedora, openSUSE, and

others who are just swarming with developers.

The LTS release only means that for the next 3 years, there will be
security
updates, and I have a feeling that even if Kubuntu 8.04 didn't have an LTS
release, we would support security issues in time.

Dropping the LTS tag could be a marketing ploy, which honestly wouldn't be
bad idea and something I would support. If we were to continue trying to
bust
our humps trying to produce both KDE 4 and KDE 3.5 side-by-side, there is
that chance that due to limited resources we could produce a not-so-great
release, and I am sure this could worry Canonical's best interest.

I am sure that if this was Canonical's decision, they did their homework
and
spoke with any clients and/or customers which currently hold a Kubuntu
support contract, and they possibly have some further details about how
much
Kubuntu Dapper is currently being used.

No matter the decision we made, people weren't going to be happy. If we
went
and stayed the LTS course, not paying much attention to KDE 4, come time
for
a real KDE 4 release we would have been overwhelmed. At the same time more
people are interested in KDE 4 more so than KDE 3.5 and LTS.

--
Richard A. Johnson
[email protected]

CD: 3ms