From: Colin Watson <cjwatson <at> ubuntu.com>
Subject: GRUB 2 now default for new installations
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.announce
Date: Monday 8th June 2009 21:32:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)
As of tomorrow's daily builds (assuming they build successfully,
anyway), GRUB 2 will be the default boot loader for new installations,
pursuant to the grub2-as-default discussion at UDS.

We do not expect to be changing the boot loader for existing
installations, at least not at this time; this is an inherently risky
operation. (Remember that we don't even automatically reinstall the boot
loader when we upgrade to new versions of GRUB Legacy, let alone when
changing to a complete reimplementation.) However, if you wish to
upgrade your system to GRUB 2, then see this page for instructions:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing

Please report any problems ('ubuntu-bug -p grub2', or
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2
if you can't use
ubuntu-bug for some reason), particularly if they seem to be regressions
from GRUB Legacy. We're very keen to make sure that this is as close to
trouble-free as possible for users doing fresh installations of 9.10
when it's released.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                       [[email protected]]

CD: 3ms