From: Andreas Jaeger <aj-Et1tbQHTxzrQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: openSUSE Strategy Discussion - Introduction
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.project
Date: Thursday 17th June 2010 09:30:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)
As announced previously, the openSUSE Board and its Strategy Team have
worked
on three strategic proposals to define the direction of openSUSE’s
future, as
a Project, Community and distribution.  Each strategy proposal includes the

same community statement.  We will therefore discuss the community
statement
and the three strategies separately.
Focused Discussion

To have a focused discussion, we like to handle the discussion as follows
on
both opensuse-project mailing list and the openSUSE forums:

   1. Present today all three strategy proposals and the community
statement,
they are available on the wiki - http://en.opensuse.org/Documents/Strategy
   2. We will start discussing the community statement now in its own
thread.
   3. Monday, June, 21st: We start a new thread to discuss the strategy
proposal “openSUSE – Home for developers“.
   4. Thursday, June, 24th: We start a new thread to discuss the strategy
proposal “openSUSE – Base for derivatives“.
   5. Tuesday, June, 29th: We start a new thread to discuss the strategy
proposal “openSUSE – Mobile and cloud ready distribution“.

What do we want to achieve with these discussions?

    * Refine the proposals, e.g. remove or add activities
    * Discuss what needs to be done for each strategy proposal
    * Figure out which strategy proposal is best, so pros and cons of each
ones.

Note that each statement contains three lists of activities describing
current
activities the openSUSE Project does and possible future activities (or
tasks).  The first list (“We need to be excellent in the following”)
describes
the items that we want to do really excellent and better than everybody
else.
The second list (“We will try to do the following effectively”) are
needed to
do but we don’t need to strive for excellence, just for effectiveness.
The
third list (“We will not focus on the following anymore”) are
activities we
will not do at all as part of the project but rather rely on other FOSS
projects.

In the end, we’d like to have a vote by the openSUSE members on which
strategy
to choose.

Pavol Rusnak and Andreas Jaeger will consolidate comments and proposal
changes
for these in the openSUSE wiki.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE,  [email protected]{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany