From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB-stAJ6ESoqRxg9hUCZPvPmw <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: [Announcement] SUSE Release SLE Sources to openSUSE Project
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.project
Date: Wednesday 29th April 2015 11:21:38 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Dear Community,

SUSE is preparing to pro-actively release a significant portion of the
SUSE Linux Enterprise source code, including a regular stream of
maintenance updates, to the openSUSE Project.

These packages will give the community an enduring, stable, and
maintained base, upon which exciting community led offerings could be
built.

An openSUSE community distribution built upon this base can plan for a
sustainable stream of packages, as we intend to continue releasing and
updating this platform in line with the cadence of SUSE Linux
Enterprise and it's service packs.

We at SUSE are going to be using this opportunity to focus more
engineering efforts on the common elements between SLE and openSUSE,
by directly increasing contributions to openSUSE and sharing sources,
tools and processes to optimize collaboration for the mutual benefits.

As members of the openSUSE community, we at SUSE invite everyone else
in the community to collaborate on this base and to consider
leveraging it for future openSUSE releases.
We're keen to hear your feedback and talk about involvement in this
project.

For more details, I will be presenting about this concept in detail
and how we propose it could be adopted by openSUSE at the openSUSE
Conference on Friday, at 10:15 in the Main Hall.

Have a lot of fun,

Richard Brown
openSUSE Board Chairman