From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson-l3A5Bk7waGM <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: 12.3 Schedule and development
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.project
Date: Tuesday 11th September 2012 09:23:19 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Given that 12.2 slipped by 2 months, and the development process for 12.3
is
"to be discussed", what schedule are we working on towards 12.3 at the
moment?

Every time I've been involved in a project without a schedule, we've had a
long period of (probably highly satisfying for developers) of 'undirected
hacking' followed by crisis, followed by a rush to 'get it out before
people
forget who we are' which inevitably had some fallout (I'm thinking of the
period leading up to KDE 4.0 here ;).

So I'd like to start the discussion now before we lose a month waiting to
discuss it at osc12, where only a fraction of the active members of the
project are is going to be  present anyway.  You don't want everything to
be
decided by German Engineers* for you do you?

Some ideas to start the ball rolling:

* openSUSE 12.2 original schedule + 8 months = openSUSE 12.2 actual release
+
4 months = Do a short cycle and release in March 2013, essentially 12.2 +
bugfixes and updates

* openSUSE 12.2 actual release + 8 months = May 2013, business as usual,
using
a fixed process to solve the problems that caused the 12.2 slip

* Extend the release cycle keeping same process and longer stabilization
period (effective 12.2 release process; leads to shipping 'outdated' stuff)

* Change the process to plan more features in advance (as much as this is
realistic given we mostly ship what our upstreams deliver) and work
together
to achieve these

Please, save your 'my vote is for this' type of replies.  And if you're an
armchair general willing to type paragraphs of email here but not a single
OBS
checkin, meeting participaton or wiki update to 12.3, go do something more
pleasurable with your fingers instead. This discussion is not about your
favourite kind of icecream, as if that will change anything.

This need a reasoned discussion on what to do in future, to get a majority
of
the actors in the project to agree to act together, and then action.

Otherwise we will default to an arbitrary schedule, several months of
undirected hacking and taking what comes from upstream, reactive release
management to get the result bootable and not too likely to blow up in
users'
faces, and frantic analysis of the brew by -marketing to make it sound like
consistent whole offering an attractive narrative of improvement (Guess
what I
did for the last few weeks).

Will

(* Something Pascal was moping about on IRC last week, I'm hoping to tempt
him
out of his cave)
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB