From: Andrew Morton <akpm <at> linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: THE OFFLINE SCHEDULER
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.rt.user
Date: Wednesday 26th August 2009 20:50:41 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
Christoph Lameter  wrote:

> Peter has not given a solution to the problem. Nor have you.

What problem?

All I've seen is "I want 100% access to a CPU".  That's not a problem
statement - it's an implementation.

What is the problem statement?

My take on these patches: the kernel gives userspace unmediated access
to memory resources if it wants that.  The kernel gives userspace
unmediated access to IO devices if it wants that.  But for some reason
people freak out at the thought of providing unmediated access to CPU
resources.

Don't get all religious about this.  If the change is clean,
maintainable and useful then there's no reason to not merge it.