From: David Lehman <dlehman <at> redhat.com>
Subject: Re: New Anaconda - BACK, BACK, BACK...
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers
Date: Thursday 13th September 2012 20:02:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 15:00 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I've been playing with new Anaconda since Alpha RC2 and I have some
> doubts about whole concept of this sub pages with configuration options
> and jumping around them.

You can indulge your doubts or you can adapt. It's up to you. I
recommend the latter.

> Why, the hell user has to pres BACK each time he made some decision or
> configuration change? Personally I prefer pressing NEXT because this
> reminds me what the goal is (working system installation) and that I'm
> going to reach it sooner or later.
>
> It looks like some Fedora designers prefer to step backward then going
> forward to achieve what the installer was created for: Working Fedora
> system installation.

It's just a different model. Instead a long linear progression in which
every user must visit every page/step, you only visit those sections
that require your attention. It will save time for most users.

You will be pleased to find (in the Beta) that we have changed the
wording of some of the buttons to improve clarity.

> Please, don't tell me that this is because configuration could be done
> in parallel and it's for my convenience and to give me the choice which
> aspect of installation I prefer to configure first. Maybe it's good for
> advanced users but for dumb average computer guy this introduced lot of
> instability and is not intuitive.

If by "intuitive" you mean "the same as the old interface" then I must
agree. Otherwise, I think you are just trying to hold on to what you
know.