Features Download
From: Erik van Pienbroek <erik-7hpmIAI+aCYpZwe9G04TCw <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Status update on MinGW-W64 in Fedora
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.mingw
Date: Tuesday 6th March 2012 17:23:56 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Erik van Pienbroek schreef op za 03-03-2012 om 20:19 [+0100]:
> At the moment there's only support for the win32 target
> (i686-w64-mingw32) in the Fedora 17 mingw packages. We still need to
> introduce the new mingw-binutils and mingw-gcc packages in Fedora for
> win64 support. We plan on getting this done in the next couple of days.
> Some days ago we also created a FESCO ticket where we ask them for their
> approval on a mass rename of all mingw32-* packages so their prefix will
> change to 'mingw-' so we don't need to perform reviews for all renamed
> packages: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/812.
Most likely this
> ticket will be discussed at the next FESCO meeting this Monday.

Our request for a mass rename of all mingw32-* package to mingw-* was
discussed in the FESCO meeting yesterday and we got their approval! This
means that we can now start with renaming all packages with the prefix
'mingw32-*' so that they use 'mingw-*' as prefix instead. After all
packages have been renamed we can start with porting the individual
packages to the new MinGW packaging guidelines.

What does this mean for you packagers?
From Fedora 17 on you are expected to apply all your changes in the
mingw-$foo git repository (instead of mingw32-$foo). If you still want
to apply changes for the Fedora 15 and 16 releases then you can still
use the mingw32-$foo git repositories. The ACLs between the old
mingw32-$foo package and the new mingw-$foo package should be the same

At the moment Kalev and I are working on the actual rename of all
mingw32-* packages. When renaming the packages we try to keep the
history of the original packages intact.

The initial import of the history of the old packages may cause a bit of
noise in your mailbox (as an e-mail will be sent for every commit which
was done in the past). We hope to keep this amount of noise to a

Today we requested git repositories for the 35 most popular mingw32-*
packages. These new git repositories are already created and we expect
to have copied over the history of the packages including the rename of
the .spec file itself by the end of the day

The remaining mingw32-* packages will be renamed in the next coming
days. Once all old mingw32-* packages are renamed we can start with the
porting of the individual packages to the new packaging guidelines
(including win64 support)

If you want to help out with this mass rename or other tasks related to
the introduction of the mingw-w64 toolchain in Fedora, feel free to join
us on IRC, irc.freenode.net #fedora-mingw. If you don't agree with this
mass rename, also feel free to join us on IRC so we can discuss it

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek

mingw mailing list