From: Ales Kozumplik <akozumpl <at> redhat.com>
Subject: Re: announcement --- planned Yum replacement now ready for user testing
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
Date: Thursday 2nd January 2014 10:54:12 UTC (over 3 years ago)

> A question, I found the following on
> <http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html>
>
> "dnf erase kernel deletes all packages called kernel
>
> In Yum, the running kernel is spared. There is no reason to keep this in
> DNF, the user can always specify concrete versions on the command line,
> e.g.:
>
> dnf erase kernel-3.9.4"
>
> So if I issue 'dnf erase kernel' all kernels will be removed, and I have
> no kernel anymore? Is that really a good thing? Should we not spare the
> running kernel? Or is there some rationale behind this that I am missing?
>
> Lars

Hi Lars,

yes that's the idea. In practice however, a user doesn't type 'dnf erase
-y kernel' by accident and we don't feel the need to protect users who
really know what they are doing from doing so. It's the same situation
as 'rm -rf /boot' or 'rpm -e --allmatches kernel'. Of course, people are
welcome to write specific plugins to achieve something similar to what
Yum used to do.

Ales