From: Alan Cox <alan <at> lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Games on Linux
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
Date: Thursday 25th October 2012 12:49:43 UTC (over 5 years ago)
> In my humble opinion.... (humble but strong ;)... that´s what Java is
for.
> :) to isolate app development from the underlying complexities of each
> system. With OpenJDK 7 on almost every distro, soon OpenJDK 8, and JavaFX
> -soon to be fully open source, see below- things will only get better.

I don't know any serious games producer who considers Java anything but a
comedy item. Having written stuff using the ghastly java on phones I can
see why.

> http://java.dzone.com/articles/major-javaone-announcement
>
> Not many people say it, but the VM in Android is one of the reasons of
its
> appeal

Almost all the game stuff is written as mostly native code. Android
actually has the same underlying problems as every other platform (Mac
included)

- varying CPU power
- different graphics drivers with different bugs to work around and
  different performance problems

In the Linux space what the games people seem to be doing now is
realising that they should just replace "Linux" with "Ubuntu" and they'll
cover all the general end user bases, and the techie oriented distros
will work out themselves how to to make it work 8)

Alan