From: Rashadul Islam <irashadul <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Fedora Weekly News: Issue 290
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.core.announce
Date: Friday 23rd March 2012 07:24:07 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Contents

   - 1 Fedora Weekly News Issue
290<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Fedora_Weekly_News_Issue_290>
      - 1.1 Announcements<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Announcements>
         - 1.1.1 Breaking News of the
Week<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Breaking_News_of_the_Week>
            - 1.1.1.1 FUDCon APAC 2012 will be in lovely Kuala Lumpur,
            Malaysia!<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#FUDCon_APAC_2012_will_be_in_lovely_Kuala_Lumpur.2C_Malaysia.21>
            - 1.1.1.2 FUDCon Kuala Lumpur travel subsidy requests are now
            open<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#FUDCon_Kuala_Lumpur_travel_subsidy_requests_are_now_open>
            - 1.1.1.3 Fedora is featuring on GSoC
2012<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Fedora_is_featuring_on_GSoC_2012>
            - 1.1.1.4 It is time for another episode of: NAME THAT FEDORA
            RELEASE<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#It_is_time_for_another_episode_of:_NAME_THAT_FEDORA_RELEASE>
            - 1.1.1.5 Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00
UTC<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Outage:_fedorapeople.org_-_2012-03-26_21:00_UTC>
               - 1.1.1.5.1 Reason for
outage:<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Reason_for_outage:>
               - 1.1.1.5.2 Affected
Services:<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Affected_Services:>
               - 1.1.1.5.3 Contact
Information:<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Contact_Information:>
            - 1.1.2 Fedora Development
News<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Fedora_Development_News>
            - 1.1.2.1 Please pull latest translation, re-package and push
            to koji for L10N QA
test<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Please_pull_latest_translation.2C_re-package_and_push_to_koji_for_L10N_QA_test>
            - 1.1.2.2 Bodhi comment emails issue
fixed<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Bodhi_comment_emails_issue_fixed>
         - 1.1.3 Fedora
Events<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Fedora_Events>
            - 1.1.3.1 Upcoming Events (December 2011 - May
2012)<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Upcoming_Events_.28December_2011_-_May_2012.29>
            - 1.1.3.2 Past
Events<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Past_Events>
            - 1.1.3.3 Additional
information<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Additional_information>
         - 1.2 Fedora In the
News<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Fedora_In_the_News>
         - 1.2.1 Tom's Hardware Review of F16 and GNOME
3<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#Tom.27s_Hardware_Review_of_F16_and_GNOME_3>

Fedora Weekly News Issue 290

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue
290[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-0>.
The Fedpra Weekly News team is being streamed the major highlights of March
2012. FWN 290 covers the major announcement from Announcement Beat and In
the News Beat.

The major announcement for the week are: APAC FUDCon will be happened in
Kuala Lumpur on May 18-20 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the Fedora Project has
been accepted for the GSoC 2012 program, and mentioning the time for the
community to choose the name of Fedora 18. Meantime, the outage of
fedorapeople.org has been announced in the development along with the
announcement of LION QA Test and BODHI's comment emails issue. The events
page also being populated and updated on the issue.

In the News Beat, Tom's Hardware Review of F16 and GNOME 3 has been
privileged by the new upcoming contributor.

Recent issues of FWN are now being published to Fedora
Insight[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-1>.
Insight offers RSS features, multimedia capabilities and more, beyond the
mailshot/wiki FWN you have come to know and love. Try it out, and we'd love
to hear your feedback!

Fedora Project is the right place for you and you can simply show your
interest in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see our 'join' page
[3] <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-2>.
We welcome
reader feedback: [email protected]

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco>
, Adam Williamson <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill>,
Rashadul
Islam <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rashadul>

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-0>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue290
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-1>
   http://insight.fedoraproject.org/
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-2>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

Announcements

Fedora Announcements are the place where you can find the major coverage
from the Fedora Project including general
announcements[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-3>,
development announcements[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-4>
and
Fedora Events[3] <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-5>
.

Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rashadul>

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-3>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-4>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-5>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

Breaking News of the WeekFUDCon APAC 2012 will be in lovely Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia!

Robyn Bergeron[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-6>
on
Mon Mar 5 12:55:23 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-7>
,

"I'm delighted to announce that the *APAC FUDCon for 2012 will be in
Kuala *Lumpur,
Malaysia*.*

Thanks to all of those who submitted bids for this FUDCon - I am very happy
to see so much interest, and I believe the recent APAC FUDCon in Pune truly
helped to show the high interest in having ongoing FUDCons in this region
of the world.

Please stay tuned for further announcements clarifying the details of
attendance, including dates/times/places, registration, as well as
information for those seeking subsidies for attendance.

Cheers!"

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-6>
Robyn
   Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-7>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-March/003045.html

FUDCon Kuala Lumpur travel subsidy requests are now open

Robyn Bergeron[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-8>
on
Thu Mar 15 14:41:44 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-9>
,

"Greetings,

As you may know, there is a planned *APAC FUDCon in Kuala Lumpur coming *up
soon, May 18-20 in Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia*[3]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-10>
.*

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:KualaLumpur_2012

If you are planning to attend FUDCon Kuala Lumpur and need a travel
subsidy, the ticketing system is currently open for requests. Requests will
be accepted through March 27, 2012. Please note that funding requests
without a ticket will not be considered. The travel budget is limited, and
preference will be given to attendees from the APAC region who are actively
contributing to Fedora, and have detailed their participation plans for
FUDCon in their subsidy request.

To place a subsidy request, please follow these steps:

1: Pre-register
at[4]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-11>
 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:KualaLumpur_2012#Pre-registration

2: Put an X in the $$$ column

3: Read about the funding request process and place a funding request
ticket in the FUDCon-planning ticket tracker
here[5]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-12>
:

*https://fedorahosted.org/fudcon-planning/wiki/FundingRequest*

Thank you!"

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-8>
Robyn
   Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-9>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-March/003046.html
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-10>
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:KualaLumpur_2012
   4. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-11>
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:KualaLumpur_2012#Pre-registration
   5. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-12>
   https://fedorahosted.org/fudcon-planning/wiki/FundingRequest

Fedora is featuring on GSoC 2012

Fedora Ambassador from Srilanka - Buddhike
Kurera[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-13>
on
Fri Mar 16 19:10:32 UTC 2012 announced
broadly[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-14>
the
GSoC 2012 program with the following details,

"I am delighted to announce that the Fedora Project has been accepted for
the GSoC 2012 program[3]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-15>.
This would be the 7th time where the Fedora project represents the program
since 2005.

The students' application procedure and other relevant information will be
published soon. If you are interested in joining with the Fedora project as
a student or a mentor please explore following URLs.

First of all subscribe for the summer-coding mailing
list[4]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-16>
and
explore the Idea
list[5]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-17>,
feel free to contact us for more information."

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-13>
bckurera
   at fedoraproject.org
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-14>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-March/003047.html
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-15>
   http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2012
   4. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-16>
   5. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-17>
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012

It is time for another episode of: NAME THAT FEDORA RELEASE

Robyn Bergeron[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-18>
on
Tue Mar 20 06:08:07 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-19>
,

"Oh, Beefy Miracle, I have relished your name for months, but as your day
for widespread consumption (release day) approaches, it is time for the
community to choose the name of Fedora 18. This process begins with *you,*
dear readers and contributors, as potential names are accepted for
submission over the course of the next week, beginning now, March 20th, and
ending March 27th (at 23:59:59 UTC, for those of you who can't mustard up
any ideas until the last possible second).

Frankly, I'm expecting an a-bun-dance of suggestions, and not just from
people who cannot take my punni-ness any longer. Rules and guidelines for
suggestions, as well as the location in which you may make your name
suggestions, are on this wiki
page:[3]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-20>

A quick word on details:

You *must* follow the guidelines at the page listed above for your name to
be considered. These guidelines include the following items:

   - There must be an "is-a" link between the name "Beefy Miracle" (the
   name of F17) and your suggested name.

   - That link must be different from any previous links between release
   names.

   - Names of living people and well-known trademarks will likely be
   rejected as well.

Schedule details for release naming are also shown on the F18 naming wiki
page.

I know that it may be hard to *top* Beefy Miracle (ahahahaha, get it? As in
toppings!) but I do have every bit of faith that many of you have already
thought of name suggestions that may or may not be more mature, or more
neutral with regards to dietary restrictions. :) I do look forward to
seeing your suggested names and recommend, as always, to have fun.

Cheers,"

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-18>
rbergero
   at redhat.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-19>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-March/003048.html
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-20>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_18

Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC

Kevin Fenzi[1] <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-21>
on
Wed Mar 21 22:17:27 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-22>
,

"Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC

There will be an outage starting at 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC, which will last
approximately 2 hours.

To convert UTC to your local time, take a look
at[3]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-23>

or run: date -d '2012-03-26 21:00 UTC'
Reason for outage:

We are moving the main fedorapeople.org host to another site. This site
will allow us to provide additional group storage for various groups that
need download space, as well as being closer to our backup server to allow
for quicker backups.
Affected Services:

   - Fedora People - http://fedorapeople.org/
   - Unaffected Services:
   - Ask Fedora - http://ask.fedoraproject.org/
   - BFO - http://boot.fedoraproject.org/
   - Bodhi - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/
   - Buildsystem - http://koji.fedoraproject.org/
   - GIT / Source Control
   - DNS - ns1.fedoraproject.org, ns2.fedoraproject.org
   - Docs - http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
   - Email system
   - Fedora Account System - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/
   - Fedora Community - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/
   - Fedora Hosted - https://fedorahosted.org/
   - Fedora Insight - https://insight.fedoraproject.org/
   - Main Website - http://fedoraproject.org/
   - Mirror List - https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/
   - Mirror Manager - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager/
   - Package Database - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
   - QA Services
   - Secondary Architectures
   - Smolt - http://smolts.org/
   - Spins - http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
   - Start - http://start.fedoraproject.org/
   - Torrent - http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
   - Wiki - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
   - Ticket Link: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/3213

Contact Information:

Please join #fedora-admin or #fedora-noc on irc.freenode.net or add
comments to the ticket for this outage above."

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-21>
kevin
   at scrye.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-22>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-March/003049.html
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-23>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UTCHowto

Fedora Development News

The Development
Announcement[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-24>
list
is intended to be a LOW TRAFFIC announce-only list for Fedora development.

*Acceptable Types of Announcements*

   - Policy or process changes that affect developers.
   - Infrastructure changes that affect developers.
   - Tools changes that affect developers.
   - Schedule changes
   - Freeze reminders

*Unacceptable Types of Announcements*

   - Periodic automated reports (violates the INFREQUENT rule)
   - Discussion
   - Anything else not mentioned above

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-24>

Please pull latest translation, re-package and push to koji for L10N QA
test

From Fedora Localization Project Noriko
Mizumoto[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-25>
on
Thu Mar 1 02:37:44 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-26>
,

"Hi Fedora package maintainers

Could you please pull latest translation for your package, re-package with
it and push to koji for L10N QA test by 2-Mar? We will have a live image to
be composed for this particular test on 5-Mar. The focus is to test
translations availability and accuracy in desktop applications. This test
covers all Fedora packages. This is only one chance for translators to
check translation quality. It is highly appreciated your help."

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-25>
noriko.mizumoto
   at gmail.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-26>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2012-March/000901.html

Bodhi comment emails issue fixed

Kevin Fenzi[1] <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-27>
on
Sat Mar 10 23:40:00 UTC 2012
announced[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-28>
,

"Greetings.

In the last week or so, there was an issue with bodhi sending emails to
update submitters when comments were left on their updates. Note that this
issue did not effect bodhi comments (ie, pushed to testing, pushed to
stable, being pushed, etc), only comments left by users / autoqa.

This issue has been corrected, so any comments left should now email
correctly.

Maintainers may wish to look over their pending updates for any comments
they may have missed.

Sorry for the trouble,"

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-27>
kevin
   at scrye.com
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-28>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2012-March/000902.html

Fedora Events

The purpose of event is to build a global Fedora events calendar, and to
identify responsible Ambassadors for each event. The event page is laid out
by quarter and by region. Please maintain the layout, as it is crucial for
budget planning. Events can be added to this page whether or not they have
an Ambassador owner. Events without an owner are not eligible for funding,
but being listed allows any Ambassador to take ownership of the event and
make it eligible for funding. In plain words, Fedora events are the
exclusive and source of marketing, learning and meeting all the fellow
community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the following
events to consider attending or volunteering near you!
Upcoming Events (December 2011 - May 2012)

   - North America
(NA)[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-29>
   - Central & South America (LATAM):
[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-30>
   - Europe, Middle East, and Africa
(EMEA)[3]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-31>
   - India, Asia, Australia
(India/APJ)[4]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-32>

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-29>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY13_Q1_.28March_2012_-_May_2012.29
   2. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-30>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY13_Q1_.28March_2012_-_May_2012.29_2
   3. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-31>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY12_Q4_.28December_2012_-_February_2013.29
   4. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-32>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY13_Q1_.28March_2012_-_May_2012.29_3

Past Events

Archive of Past Fedora
Events[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-33>

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-33>
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/PastEvents

Additional information

   - Reimbursements <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reimbursements>
--
   reimbursement guidelines.
   - Budget<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Budget>
--
   budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
   - Sponsorship <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees>

Fedora In the News

In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that is
re-posted to the Fedora Marketing
list[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-34>
.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Jason
Brooks<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jasonbrooks>

   1. ↑ <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_ref-34>
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/

Tom's Hardware Review of F16 and GNOME 3

Karin Bakis posted[1]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-35>
:

"Although Fedora 16 holds its own against Ubuntu with regard to
performance, as a rule, Fedora is not an end-user-friendly Linux distro.
Verne is no exception. Only enthusiasts firmly entrenched in the Linux
world will try to convince you otherwise. With that said, I have never
encountered an un-fixable issue with the Fedora distribution, and I use the
KDE spin on a semi-regular basis.

"If you're already into Linux, there is no reason to stay away from this
distribution. Then again, if you're already into Linux, Fedora needs no
introduction by us."

The full review is
available[2]<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue#cite_note-36>
.