From: Jon Masters <jcm-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: [fedora-arm] totally crap llvm nonsense patch
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.arm
Date: Wednesday 14th November 2012 05:54:15 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hey Folks,

This is *not* a patch. It's a collection of random crap I wrote ages and
ages ago. Don't use it. But, I started poking at this ages ago and I am
short of time (I'm rapidly beginning to learn that I don't scale how I
want to, though I can perhaps usefully assist others if I get over my
need for things to be perfect before posting and share stuff more often!
Only took 30 years to learn that life lesson...), so you might use this
to begin tracking down where the Triplet code needs to be modified to
support Fedora. The biggest problem is that the LLVM developers (in
their infinite wisdom[0]) decided that the only way triplets can
possibly be done is the Debian/Ubuntu way (gnueabihf), and so our
treating armv7hl as an architecture variant makes it explode. But not
just in the obvious way, in fun and exciting ways. For those following
along at home, our triplet needs to be:

armv7hl-redhat-linux-gnueabi

And none of the following:

arm-*-linux-gnu
arm-*-linux-gnueabi
arm-*-linux-gnueabihf
armv7hl-*-linux-gnu
armv7hl-*-linux-gnueabihf

etc.

So, if I get time over the holidays, I'm going to fix this properly, and
it'll look nothing like this nonsense crap I just posted.

Jon.

[0] I personally believe LLVM is the latest shiny thing. It's not better
than gcc, it's just the new new new new cloud cloud cloud! equivalent of
compiler technology so everyone is falling over themselves to get on an
LLVM bandwagon in time to fragment the existing support we have, thus
requiring support for two compilers over just one. But that's a
digression. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fanboy.

CD: 2ms