From: Frank Lichtenheld <frank <at> lichtenheld.de>
Subject: Unkillable dpkg-query processes on Debian
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.ports.sparc
Date: Thursday 7th June 2007 19:53:07 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi.

I'm seeing the same problem (unkillable dpkg-query processes
appearing during building Debian packages) here on two U10. Both
run sparc64-smp kernels. The error occoured both with the 2.6.18
kernel from Debian etch and 2.6.21 from Debian unstable. All
builds happened in a Debian unstable chroot.

As said, an strace attached to the process once it is out of control
(indicated by the high VIRT size) shows nothing. I tried to use
a wrapper script for dpkg-query which runs it under strace. The error
still occoured but *after* the real dpkg-query already completed.
The process getting out of control was the wrapper in this case.

I've never seen the problem with anything else than dpkg-query.

I've never seen the problem when running dpkg-query interactively,
and it does happen very infrequently and with no ovious pattern.
But I've never needed more than a few hours to hit it.

I would happily provide more information if someone has an idea
what would be useful and how to retrieve it.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld
www: http://www.djpig.de/