From: Eugeni Dodonov <eugeni <at> mandriva.com>
Subject: Mandriva 2010.2
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.mandrake.cooker.devel
Date: Thursday 23rd December 2010 01:24:10 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi all,

Please welcome the Mandriva 2010.2 release, which is coming to a mirror
nearby you right now!

As announced previously, Mandriva 2010.2 is an incremental update on top
of Mandriva 2010.1, incorporating all the security and bugfix updates
since its release.

Just to give you some statistics about what changes in 2010.2 when
comparing to 2010 Spring (also known as 2010.1), these are some of the
numbers.

Since the 2010.1 release, the secteam has released a total of 5055 RPMs
via official updates, counting both security and bugfix advisories,
across 272 different packages (a bit more right now, because some of the
updates were released these days).

Of course, some of these packages were updated more than once (for
example, firefox and thunderbird went through several releases since
2010.1), so if we count the latest versions of all the updates, Mandriva
2010.2 will have a total count of 2522 officially updated and supported
rpm packages since the Mandriva 2010.1 release.

If we count the total number of packages which will be available with
Mandriva 2010.2 version that were updated since the 2010.1 release, it
gives us a whooping number of 6312 modified RPM packages (considering
updates, backports and testing medias). And in total it gives more than
34GB of new and/or updated packages across all the medias and
architectures.

With such a big number of updated packages, we decided to release an
updated version of Mandriva 2010 Spring incorporating these packages -
Mandriva 2010.2 - which we make available to you all right now.

Yes, I have to assume that not all things went as smoothly as they could
have (Murphy Law stroke hard at us this time); and unfortunately it
caused some problems in between. Well, lesson taken, and we will do
better next time.

Of course, the development and support for both 2010.1/2010.2 and 2011
distribution versions will not stop now! As usually, we will continue
supporting all the packages for all the supported distributions during
their entire lifetimes. In the next few weeks, there will be updates for
KDE and OpenOffice.org packages, among the usual security and bugfix
advisories and updates. So stay tuned!

And finally, once again, I would like to thank you - the Mandriva
community - for everything you are doing for Mandriva distribution. Yes,
sometimes there are discussions; yes, sometimes there are issues arising
where they should not have happened; yes, sometimes some of the
decisions do not please everyone. But even with all those misfortune
events the Mandriva distribution stays alive and strong - thanks to you!

So, as promised - Mandriva 2010.2 is here, as gift to you all from us.
Enjoy it, and have a Happy Holidays :).

Thanks!

--
Eugeni Dodonov