From: Eugeni Dodonov <eugeni <at> mandriva.com>
Subject: RPM5 switch
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.mandrake.cooker.devel
Date: Tuesday 9th November 2010 21:21:03 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi Per Oyvind and folks,

before thinking on switching to RPM5, could you explain the pros and
contras of it versus rpm4 which we are using currently?

As far as I know, rpm4 is supported by Fedora/RedHat/CentOS and
SUSE/OpenSUSE among the major vendors. Rpm5, on its hand, is used by
AltLinux and Unity Linux. RPM4 is mostly stable, with long-time pending
issues and its behavior is well-known. RPM5 is under constant
development, with many features and without any large install base.

As you are willing to be its maintainer, I guess that now it would be a
good time to discuss about the differences between RPM4 and RPM5, and
why switching to RPM5 would be better for Mandriva in the long term.

Personally, I do not have a strong bias towards RPM4 and RPM5. As long
as they work, and maintained, and we stay compatible with third-party
RPMs out there, I am ok with any solution. But I (and I guess other
community members too) would like to hear your points about it, as you
certainly may have a more in-depth arguments.

But in any case, I am *strongly* in favor of using stable RPM versions
for the distribution, and not pre-released / early beta ones.

Thanks!

--
Eugeni Dodonov

CD: 3ms