From: Gustavo Pichorim Boiko <boiko <at> mandriva.com>
Subject: Modular X.org / Xgl / Xegl plans
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.mandrake.cooker.devel
Date: Monday 13th February 2006 17:33:03 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Hi all

As some of you already know I'm the new maintainer of X.org. So as I see
many
discussions about Xorg 7.0, Xgl and all this stuff, I thought it was time
for
me to show my plans on that.

X.org
-------
I have already started packaging Xorg 7.0 but I don't have any set of
packages
useful at this moment. The ideas proposed in [1] will certainly be
considered
(as they really make sense) and I'm opened for discussions on what is the
packaging model that best fits the needs of everybody.
As some other distro are doing, I think it is a good idea to remove the
X11R7
prefix and start using the xorg stuff in the default prefix (unless someone

provides good reasons for not doing that).
Colin Guthrie said he was starting to make his own RPMs for that, so I
would
ask him (and everyone interested on having that done as soon as possible)
discuss and help (if possible) doing the official Mandriva packages. I want

to have the Xorg development as open as possible for the community
contributors.
As I haven't written anything about packaging layout yet, I will adopt [1]
as
the place explaining the model used for modular X.

Xgl
---
Mandriva is not going to officially adopt the Novell Xgl server (Xglx).
Instead, we are trying to push the Xegl[2] development. It is not a short
term solution though. The main idea on that is not having an Xorg server
running behind the Xgl server. EGL[3] is an API for native platform window
system interface that is used in the Xegl as kind of substitute for GLX
avoiding the need of another X server running together with Xgl. The main
problem curently we have is that there is no EGL interface implemented in
the
binary graphics drivers and only some cards have open source 3D
acceleration
support (see the previous thread "Xgl in mandriva?").
Even not supporting the Xglx project, some requirements for EGL and GLX are

the same (like the DRM, glitz, etc), so it won't be that difficult for one
try the Xglx code using cooker packages.
For the Xegl, we will try to make everything needed for Xegl
testing/development available in cooker (or in a separate repository as
this
may require CVS snapshots of xorg, mesa and other libraries) making it
easier
for one to test or even start developing the Xegl.
The same I said for Xorg is valid for Xegl: I want to have the Xegl
development as open as possible, so feel free to contact me about
suggestions, bug reports, patches, etc.

[1] http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/ModularX
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Xegl
[3] http://www.khronos.org/egl/