From: Pekka Enberg <penberg-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 0/3] vmpressure_fd: Linux VM pressure notifications
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.man
Date: Wednesday 7th November 2012 11:30:16 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi Anton,

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Anton Vorontsov
 wrote:
> This is the third RFC. As suggested by Minchan Kim, the API is much
> simplified now (comparing to vmevent_fd):
>
> - As well as Minchan, KOSAKI Motohiro didn't like the timers, so the
>   timers are gone now;
> - Pekka Enberg didn't like the complex attributes matching code, and
>   so it is no longer there;
> - Nobody liked the raw vmstat attributes, and so they were eliminated
>   too.

I love the API and implementation simplifications but I hate the new
ABI. It's a specialized, single-purpose syscall and bunch of procfs
tunables and I don't see how it's 'extensible' to anything but VM

If people object to vmevent_fd() system call, we should consider using
something more generic like perf_event_open() instead of inventing our
own special purpose ABI.

                        Pekka