From: Ingo Molnar <mingo <at> elte.hu>
Subject: Re: Config NO_BOOTMEM breaks my amd64 box
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Wednesday 31st March 2010 21:47:01 UTC (over 6 years ago)
* Dave Airlie  wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Ingo Molnar  wrote:
> >
> > * James Morris <[email protected]> wrote:

I've found

> >> Yes, it was happening with -rc3.
> >
> > Could you please send the bootlog that Yinghai asked for, plus also one
that
> > you get with NO_BOOTMEM turned off (for comparison)?
> >
> > Also, when did you first hit this bug? This code has been upstream for
almost
> > a month, and it was in linux-next before that - so you should have hit
this
> > much sooner. A rough timeframe would suffice. I suppose you were
booting
> > upstream kernels during the merge window as well?
>
> A default y config option causing regressions still at rc3? and you guys
> keep going? This is the sort of shit Linus would flame me for a day or
two
> for,
>
> Can we get some f'ing consistency here?

Note, without trying to defend the bootmem conversion itself, which didnt
work
out well, this is not some optional new driver feature that was default-y
randomly but it was an infrastructure change that was to be made
unconditional
in .35.

The flag was basically a testing/debug flag to allow the old code to be
used
too, in case the new code was buggy. This is what helped James to report
this
today, instead of forcing James through a very difficult ~14-reboot
bisection.

Thanks,

	Ingo

CD: 3ms