From: Christoph Lameter <cl <at> linux-foundation.org>
Subject: [RFC local_t removal V1 0/4] Remove local_t
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Tuesday 5th January 2010 22:04:17 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Current -next has only the trace subsystem left as a user of local_t

Tracing uses local_t for per cpu safe atomic operations in the form
of cmpxchg and additions. We already have a cmpxchg_local but no "local"
form of addition.

The patchset introduces a similar local primitive add_local() and then
uses cmpxchg_local() and add_local() to remove local_t use from the
trace subsystem.

The last patch removes local_t support from the kernel tree.

The support for add_local() is pretty basic. We can add more
fancy inc/dec variants and more optimization in the next
revision of the patchset.

CD: 3ms