From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Linux 2.6.33-rc1
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Friday 18th December 2009 02:05:53 UTC (over 7 years ago)
So the merge window is closed, and -rc1 is out there now.

Talking about the merge window: there were a _lot_ of trees that left
their pull requests pretty dang late. Not everything I merged yesterday
and today were late pull requests, but a lot of it was. I'm used to have a
fairly busy last day of the merge window, but it was a busy last two days
this time - definitely worse than usual.

The two-week merge window is _not_ supposed to be "one day merge window
after thirteen days of silence". In fact, I think that next time around
I'll make the merge window be 11-12 days instead, and people who try to
game the system and do a last-minute pull request will get a surprise, and
get unceremoniously bumped to 2.6.35 instead.

Anyway, apart from that grumbling, it's been a fairly normal merge window,
I think. According to git dirstat (which got fixed to give more accurate
numbers), the distribution of changes is pretty much

 - 1/3rd staging
 - 1/3rd "rest of drivers"
 - 1/3rd "everything else"

with about half of that final "everything else" third being arch stuff,
and half being random other things (firmware, fs, net).

Notable additions? There's a number of drivers, and depending on which
ones you use, you'll find them more or less notable. I personally like how
I finally got to merge the Nouveau code, for example. Others will care
about other things.

Please give it a good testing, so that we can start figuring out the
inevitably regressions,

		Linus

CD: 16ms