From: Simon Holm =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Th=F8gersen?= <odie <at> cs.aau.dk>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc1
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Monday 12th January 2009 22:05:53 UTC (over 8 years ago)
lør, 10 01 2009 kl. 16:13 -0800, skrev Linus Torvalds:
> The merge window is over, and while it is quite possible that I missed a
> few merge requests in the crazy week that is behind us, apart from those
> we should now have most of the bulk of 2.6.29 merged up. And now it's
just
> a small matter of making sure it's all stable and ready to go.
>
> I wanted to release -rc1 with time enough that by the time I'm on my way
> to LCA next weekend, we'd have an -rc2 too, and the worst fallout from
> -rc1 would be fixed.

Linus and Jonathan,

would you be so kind to make some noise about the reiserfs issue that
exists between c1eaa26 and 2f1169e?

Booting a kernel in that window results in a semi-broken reiserfs file
system (can boot but not build a new kernel etc.) and a fsck is needed
for complete restoration of consistency of fs. See also the original
report of the problem [1].

2.6.29-rc1 has the fix, but people like me that are doing bisections in
the 2.6.28..2.6.29-rc1 window are likely to run into the problem, and
should run something like the following after each git bisect bad/good

git rev-list HEAD | grep -q c1eaa26 && \
  (git rev-list HEAD | grep -q 2f1169e || git cherry-pick -n 2f1169e)

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123106871227339&w=2

Simon Holm Thøgersen

CD: 3ms