From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan <at> linux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] RFC: Moving firmware blobs out of the kernel.
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Thursday 29th May 2008 21:11:51 UTC (over 8 years ago)
David Miller wrote:
> Arjan, by definition the firmware has to be tied to the kernel somehow.
> THe datastructure and other aspects are often tied directly to
> the firmware version loaded.

agreed that there are cases like this, and I have no personal objection to
having
those in the kernel.

> If debian or whoever else have these concernes and want to rip the
> firmware out, it is one hundred percent their problem to patch things
> out of the kernel tree they use.

I don't care at all about the argument from that camp.

My aim was more the opposite: be able to get MORE firmware easily
used/loaded,
not less. Right now it's a royal pain for users to get all the right pieces
of
firmware.... having ONE place to put all that would go a long way of making
that
side of things easier.

If you want to argue that that should be in the kernel tarbal itself, you
won't
hear me complain. But others will... and for that a 2nd tarbal might well
be the answer.
Just we shouldn't need 100 tarbals.

CD: 3ms