From: Mihai =?utf-8?q?Don=C8=9Bu?= <mihai.dontu <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 2.6.23-rc7 + radeonfb/s2ram
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Saturday 22nd September 2007 14:46:14 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On Saturday 22 September 2007, Mihai Donțu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today, out of curiosity, I pulled 2.6.23-rc7 (leave on the edge in a
quiet weekend).
> Anyway, it seems that radeonfb and my:
> "01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon
XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)"
> don't get along anymore, by:
> a) X somehow fails to initialize the card and everything moves really
slow (I can
>    see how surfaces are drawn pixel-by-pixel); furthermore, garbage stuff
appears
>    on the screen;
> b) after powering up from a s2ram, the system freezes;
>
> b) is not that bad, s2ram never worked on my machine (kjournald and some
other kernel
> processes, enter disk-sleep and in a matter of seconds, everything
just... freezes.
> I can type a few commands at the normal console but that is all);
>
> Following the advices in 'Documentation/power/s2ram.txt' helped. Using
the regular
> VGA console got X on the right track (no more slowness);
>
> Now that I got my hands "dirty", I'm in the mood to make my s2ram work
(I've
> been using Linux (exclusively) for three years now, it's about time I do
a small
> contribution). What kernel option must I enable to determine why some
processes
> enter (and stay in) disk-sleep? I'm on a laptop and I don't think it will
withstand
> too many reboots :)
>
> I've also attached the output of lspci and dmesg. Maybe someone spots
something.

> Thanks,

  Since there was no reply, I assume people *do* take the weekend off :)

  Anyway, I took matters into my own hands and enabled whatever debugging
  feature seamed reasonable enough (ACPI, SysRq, etc).

  Reboot, play, echo "mem" >/sys/power/state. I waited 5s and powered up
  and found this in dmesg

  "
  hda:task_out_intr:status = 0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  hda:task_out_intr:error = 0x04 { DriveStatusError }
  ide:failed opcode was: unknown
  "

  I figured my IDE woke up in a bad mood so I alt-sysrq-s, alt-sysrq-u and
  alt-sysrq-b (blessed be he who invented alt-sysrq-). After
  boot I went back to my "make menuconfig" and stared for ... 15s, when I
  found this: "IDE ACPI support" (boy do I feel silly).

  Reboot, play, echo "mem" >/sys/power/state ... [5s] ... power up. Ta-da!
  Everything works. Well, maybe the audio needed a little "jolt" (turn
sound
  off, back on, move the volume a bit and voila!).

  I've attached the dmesg, again, maybe someone spots something bad.

  Thanks,

--
Mihai Donțu

CD: 5ms