From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 14/22] pollfs: pollable futex
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Thursday 3rd May 2007 13:40:54 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On 5/2/07, Davi Arnaut  wrote:
> The usage cases of yours are quite different from mine. We don't use a
> single file descriptor to to manage various resources. The worker threads
> are _not going_ to have a file descriptor, _only_ the event dispatching
> (poll)
> thread.

An model which doesn't scale well.

> A pollable futex is even more useful for _single_ threaded programs that
> don't want to go into lengthy hacks to monitor events coming from the
> outside
> world.

There is nothing here that cannot be done with a more complete model
for event handling.  It's Linus decision whether he wants to add yet
more code, yet more possible problems, yet more maintenance
overhead/nightmare for an interim solution which isn't necessary,
which cannot solve all the problems, and which is not as scalable as
other proposed methods.

I can only say that I would be trickly against it.  It makes just no sense.

CD: 3ms